[TriLUG] colo and dedicated servers

Ron Kelley rkelleyrtp at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 16:46:20 EDT 2013

Brian,

In order to decide Colo-vs-Dedicated, you need to understand and fully appreciate the cost for each service.  For example:

Colo Pricing ("bring your own")
--------------------------------
* What is the cost for a fully capable server (IPMI remote management, parts replacement, warranty support, etc)
* What about server redundancy (RAID for HDDs, multiple servers for failover, etc)
* Cost per month for CoLo service (power, bandwidth, availability to access your gear if something breaks, etc)
* CoLo provider reliability (are they in a Tier-1 or Tier-2 facility)
* How much will you spend on licensing (VMWare, MS OS, etc)
* How much will remote support cost in case you or the on-call admin is not available?
* Where will you find a CoLo provider that will rent just 1RU or 2RU of space?
* What is the length of contract you must sign?
* What kind of firewall will you use (your own, the CoLo provider, other)?
* What kind of IP-space will you be given (do you need a single external IP with NAT, dedicated block of addresses, etc)?
* Who manages the firewall and all the associated rule sets?

Dedicated Pricing ("use theirs")
---------------------------------
* What is the total cost for the service (server, support, licensing, etc)?
* Are you using a shared VPS or truly getting a dedicated server?
* How quickly can they fix problems if something arises?
* What is their redundancy model for networking, server/services, etc?
* Will their service provide enough horsepower to run your applications?
* What is the length of contract you must sign?
* What kind of firewall or IP-space will you be given (do you need a single external IP with NAT, etc)?
* Who manages the firewall?

As you can see, there are a ton of questions that must honestly get answered before you can decide which option is best.  While it is very easy to say a Linux box can run xxx, the cost of procuring the server becomes insignificant down the road when there are support problems with the environment.  That said, if you can find a good CoLo partner, chances are the long-term cost for CoLo pricing will be cheaper than signing a contract for a dedicated server.  And, if you have the support staff to manage your own gear (remember, this *is* a production service), you can save a ton of cash.

Also, don't forget other services like Amazon EC2.  Their small instance for MS Windows costs $0.091/hr ($2.19/day ~= $65/mo).

Having been in the CoLo provider space for a while, I have done a *few* of these types of analysis for guys just like you.  If you need help deciding, please drop me an email.  I will be glad to help.

-Ron