[TriLUG] GnuCash

David Both dboth at millennium-technology.com
Fri Jun 21 15:24:49 EDT 2013

I have been using GnuCash for over 10 years and I like it very much. It uses
double-entry accounting which takes a bit of getting used to if you have not
done it before, but is the only legal way to go for businesses and non-profits.
I use two sets of books, one for my personal finances and one for my business. I
also have a set of books I use for testing and demonstration.

You can set it up any way you want. It has a setup wizard that works well and
you can set up anything from simple checkbook accounting to a set of corporate
books. I don't recall that there is a non-profit option. It does have an
invoicing system, but you do not need to use that to record income which can be
assigned to any type of income or asset account you create such as
Income=>Pledges or Income=>Cash Donations
etc. A pledge would be a form of receivable anyway so the matching entry for
Income=>Pledges would be in Assets=>Accounts Receivable.

Sales is always one account for business income, but you can change the name to
anything you want. An accountant would be able to advise you on the best
structure for a set of accounts in a non-profit.

I use it on a Linux system.

I hope this helps.