[TriLUG] Semi OT: SD card reader for old laptop

matt at noway2.thruhere.net matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Tue Jun 25 17:16:47 EDT 2013

A relative of mine ran into the common (?) issue of an older PC and the
inability to read/write SD cards even though it supposedly has a reader.
>From what I recall, the issue has to do with the standards and the
hardware changing several years back.  I was thinking of suggesting a USB
based SD card reader, which seem to go for as little as $10-$20 these
days.

Does anyone have experience with them?  Do they work and are there any
particulars or gotcha items to watch out for with them?