[TriLUG] Authentication/Master User for dovecot

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Jul 1 11:29:09 EDT 2013

On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 06:55:59 -0700 (PDT)
Chris Bullock <cgbullock at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hey guys, we are migrating our email from dovecot to another imap
> server.  We need some help with migrating the mail to the new imap
> server.  We have a perl script that can handle the migration but we
> need to login to the as a user that can access the users
> mailboxes(root can not do this).
>
> I have read up and there seems to be a setting that I can put in
> dovecot as a "Authentication/MasterUsers" that does what I need.
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/Authentication/MasterUsers
>
> My knowledge of dovecot and very limited so any help would be
> appreciated. Chris

Hi Chris,

This isn't responsive to your question, but once you have the new IMAP
server configured and working, have you considered simply using your
old email client to copy directories from Dovecot to your new IMAP
server?

Also, it is possible that your new IMAP server keeps, or can keep, its
data in the same kind of structure as your Dovecot server does. If that
were the case, you could deep copy the Dovecot tree to where you want
to store data for the new IMAP, or perhaps, after performing a complete
and verified backup, even set the new IMAP to work off Dovecot's
existing data.

Thanks,

SteveT