[TriLUG] Bit rot detection without ZFS/btrfs?

Steve Holton sph0lt0n at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 10:41:26 EDT 2013

At this point, one risks becoming a veterinarian for Schrödinger's cat: any
bit not currently being observed is neither valid nor rotten.

Use an error-correcting (RAID 5) for the source.
Make on-site backups against catastrophic failure, and just *trust* they
will be good. (if catastrophe occurs, but one refuses to trust one's
on-site backups until one knows they match the off-sites, what's the point
of having an on-site? And if there *is* a mismatch???)

If you absolutely must minimize the risk of bit rot in a backup, you'll
need to minimize the *space-time* (no technobabble intended) between
observations: adding either time between observations or distance between
the source and backup will increase risk.