[TriLUG] OwnCloud network setup question

Carl Crider c.crider at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 10:55:37 EDT 2013

Hey guys,

I recently finished a new Debian media server / XBMC setup, and I would like
to run OwnCloud on it as well. The OwnCloud install and config is straight
forward, but my question is about networking.

I'm thinking of installing another NIC that will be dedicated to OwnCloud
access. The idea is that I can connect this NIC directly to my bridge in
order to separate the internal LAN from the outside world.

So the setup would be:
NIC1 - Internal LAN / my home network
NIC2 - OwnCloud access only

Now to the questions:
Can someone suggest the best (secure) configuration for something like this?
Should I use iptables or something else?
Would it be easier to have DynDNS or similar? (note: easy is not always my
favorite way)

Thanks

~Carl