[TriLUG] Soon-to-be new RasPi owner

R Radford rradford at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 8 14:48:39 EDT 2013

You could always use a real camera, with a USB connection - they have much
better optics, and better software than a hobby RPi camera would anyway,
and then use gphoto+/gphoto2 to control the camera and transfer the images
from the camera to the RPi.  That is what we finally did for the nearspace
balloon launch.

It is a Nikon Coolpix 10MB camera and we send it a single command to take
the picture and transfer the image to the computer.  Taking the photo is
quick, but it takes 10+ seconds sometimes to transfer the image over the
very slow USB bus on the RPi.  But you get full resolution, nice quality,
images... probably better than you will ever get with a webcam, or the RPi
cam.