[TriLUG] Kernel crash when QOS enabled

Bill Farrow bill at arrowsreach.com
Tue Jul 16 11:12:14 EDT 2013

At work I admin an Ubuntu Small Business Server (Zentyal).  When I
enable QOS (Traffic Shaping), the kernel crashes approx 3 hours later
with flashing keyboard LEDs.  Rebooting after the crash takes much
longer than normal to boot before I can get console log-in and before
all services are restored.

Key features:
- 4 core Intel Xeon E5620 (hyperthreaded to 8 cores)
- multiple KVM virtual machines
- Multiple Software RAID1 arrays
- LVM
- NAT, DNS, DHCP, samba, iptables firewall, bridged interfaces
- multiple subnets

I will have to replicate this on a separate machine, as extended
downtime on the real server will not be acceptable.  Any hints on what
I area should look at first ?

Bill