[TriLUG] Kernel crash when QOS enabled

David Both dboth at millennium-technology.com
Tue Jul 16 11:21:41 EDT 2013

Check the logs and/or configure the startup to show startup messages rather than
the GUI progress indicator. Look to see any messaged pertaining to the disks. I
suspect that fsck is running during the startup after the crash and that is what
is taking the time. Install/enable SAR and look for the reasons for the crash in
the SAR data. That is probably due to running out of memory; if so add RAM not
swap space.

On 07/16/2013 11:12 AM, Bill Farrow wrote:
> At work I admin an Ubuntu Small Business Server (Zentyal).  When I
> enable QOS (Traffic Shaping), the kernel crashes approx 3 hours later
> with flashing keyboard LEDs.  Rebooting after the crash takes much
> longer than normal to boot before I can get console log-in and before
> all services are restored.
>
> Key features:
> - 4 core Intel Xeon E5620 (hyperthreaded to 8 cores)
> - multiple KVM virtual machines
> - Multiple Software RAID1 arrays
> - LVM
> - NAT, DNS, DHCP, samba, iptables firewall, bridged interfaces
> - multiple subnets
>
> I will have to replicate this on a separate machine, as extended
> downtime on the real server will not be acceptable.  Any hints on what
> I area should look at first ?
>
> Bill

"I'd put my money on the sun and solar energy. What a source of power! I hope we
don't have to wait until oil and coal run out before we tackle that."
  - Thomas Edison, in conversation with Henry Ford and Harvey Firestone, 1931

David P. Both

David P. Both, RHCE
Millennium Technology Consulting LLC
919-389-8678

dboth at millennium-technology.com

www.millennium-technology.com
www.databook.bz - Home of the DataBook for Linux
DataBook is a Registered Trademark of David Both