[TriLUG] When away from home

Brian Cottingham spiffytech at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 12:18:36 EDT 2013

A VPN would do it, if there's a second server that both his client and
hotel server can access. OpenVPN is sort of the flagship open-source VPN,
though it can be a pain to configure. Their
documentation<http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/documentation/howto.html>will
walk you through getting a client and server set up. Services like
proxpn.com will make that easier on you. There's also PPTP, which is less
secure (for what little that matters if you're only doing SSH) but should
also get the job done.

If he has another server outside the hotel he can access, he could take the
substantially easier route of bouncing through it to the one in the hotel
with ssh reverse tunneling <http://www.howtoforge.com/reverse-ssh-tunneling>
.