[TriLUG] Best appliance for Linux firewall?

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 22:43:41 EDT 2013

The price of the Soekris hardware does add up but I cannot state how happy
I have been with every extra investment I've made with this hardware.
 After nearly 10 years of near constant 24x7 operation my old Net-4501 is
still working though the limited ram is showing up with the latest m0n0wall
builds.  I'm going to upgrade to a 5501 because I am losing bandwidth, none
that I need at home but it bothers me I don't have hardware to fully
utilize what I am paying for (I live alone, generally only have one device
running at a time and never have issues streaming HD content from Netflix,
etc).  I really can't stress how happy I've been with these devices.  Of
the seven I've put in service all are working today save one I sold a while
back (which may be running.... somewhere).  As far as OpenBSD goes I do not
know how that would be installed but check out pfsense, which is based on
m0n0wall but provides access to a lot of the features that make BSD so
attractive: http://www.pfsense.org/.

Greg