[TriLUG] Best appliance for Linux firewall?

bak bak at picklefactory.org
Sun Aug 11 09:17:50 EDT 2013

On Aug 10, 2013, at 10:43 PM, Greg Brown <gwbrown1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> After nearly 10 years of near constant 24x7 operation my old Net-4501 is
> still working though the limited ram is showing up with the latest m0n0wall
> builds.  I'm going to upgrade to a 5501 because I am losing bandwidth, none
> that I need at home but it bothers me I don't have hardware to fully
> utilize what I am paying for (I live alone, generally only have one device
> running at a time and never have issues streaming HD content from Netflix,
> etc).

Could you go into a little more detail about the Net4501's limitations? That is to say, what kind of traffic taxes it / what m0n0wall things can't you do with the amount of RAM the 4501 has / how are you losing bandwidth? Have you kill-a-watt'd it at any point?

I would be fascinated to hear from a long-time Soekris user...

--bak