[TriLUG] Weird dual-monitor bootup hang

Brian lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com
Sun Aug 11 22:36:57 EDT 2013

Hi gang,

I am having an interesting problem.  Lately, my Debian 3.2.41 x64 system
seems to have a hang during boot, which appears to have to do with the
order in which my two video cards are detected (at least, that's my best
initial guess).  I have two monitors; the left-hand is supposed to be
the primary, and the right-hand the secondary.  The BIOS is set to use
the left-hand monitor as the bootup monitor.  Sometimes, the console
flips over to the right-hand monitor and the left-hand shuts off, and
the system hangs.  Other times, the console stays on the left and the
system boots up fine.

Sometimes the hanging boot ends with a message that says something like
"cannot set frequency 24000 to ep 0x86", which appears to be related to
my Logitech webcam, according to Google.  However, I still see a similar
message (but the frequency is 16000) when boot succeeds.

I'm not even sure where to start googling this.  Does this sound
familiar to anyone?

Thanks!
~Brian