[TriLUG] How ssh et al resolves domain names...

Brian Henning bhenning at pineinst.com
Tue Aug 27 13:19:18 EDT 2013

> In your /etc/resolv.conf you have the following line:
> search nc.rr.com
<snip>

Ooooooooo.  I think you may have pointed me in the right direction.  So that
"search" entry in resolv.conf is a DHCP parameter from TWC's DHCP server,
but I know I can override it with some setting somewhere (I'll have to find
it) so that DHCP doesn't blow it away next time the lease renews.  Just like
I can put in the nameserver 127.0.0.1 in there.  Anyway, I can do this:

$ ssh mirawall.

and that works.  I can also comment out the "search" line in resolv.conf and
have the unqualified host name work correctly.

Looks like I need to fix some default domain (for dnsmasq's DHCP service)
and search domain (in resolv.conf) parameters.

Thanks!
~B