[TriLUG] OT: Logitech Harmony Remotes

Bill Farrow bill at arrowsreach.com
Fri Sep 6 17:59:07 EDT 2013

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 5:15 PM, Keith Woodie <kwoodie at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone use the Logitech Harmony remotes?  I am considering the following
> harmony remote.  I have Time Warner Cable, Sony Blu-Ray Player.  My new
> setup will put all boxes behind closed wood cabinet doors.

I have set one up for a friend who also wanted to bury his equipment
inside a cabinet. His Logitech Harmony remote was programmed via a USB
and required a Windows Application which was awful to use.  The
application was a poor attempt at creating a simple user interface.

In the end I hated it.  You press a button on the remote to "watch TV"
and the remote would play a sequence of commands via IR Blasters to
each piece of equipment that needs to be set up.  Sometimes it would
work, sometimes something would go wrong and something wouldn't turn
on.  At this point you are screwed, since the Harmony now assumes that
everything is on and running fine. Your only option is to hit the
"power off" button and hope it works so you can try again.

Bill