[TriLUG] OT: Logitech Harmony Remotes

Bill Farrow bill at arrowsreach.com
Mon Sep 9 14:28:48 EDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 2:04 PM, Chris Merrill <chris at webperformance.com> wrote:
> Overall, I'm happy with it and I'd buy it again. Most importantly, the wife
> and kids can use it without my help :)

Several years ago now, I made the decision that I didn't want a
handful of remotes on the coffee table.  To this end I set up MythTV
to replace the set-top-box, DVD player, CD player, network media
player, etc.  I now have a single remote control that does everything
through Lirc (Linux IR Control).

My wife is comfortable with this setup, but I still get complaints
when a DVD won't play properly due to different region codes or
something :-)  The Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF) is highest when we
visit friends or family and she discovers just how crappy everyone
else has it, and the fact that she HAS to sit through commercial
breaks which driver her nuts (MythTV automatically skips commercials).

I have recently been experimenting with the Ex-Link (rs232) port on my
Samsung TV. I'm going to integrate this into my Lirc setup to use a
Chromcast alongside the MythTV and still use a single remote.

Bill