[TriLUG] Learning Linux -- and Netstat

John Vaughters jvaughters04 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 11 10:35:47 EDT 2013

JC,

What you are seeing is Unix sockets that are being used by your system to communicate internally. If you want to see TCP/UDP sockets, use

netstat -tup

netstat -tupl  (for listening only sockets)

netstat -tupln (for listening only sockets without name resolution and my personal favorite for troubleshooting tcp services)

If you want to understand the unix sockets, it is a pretty good read and you can find the info on the internet in great quantities.

John Vaughters