[TriLUG] FreeNAS vs DIY

Dewey Hylton plug at hyltown.com
Mon Sep 16 15:43:57 EDT 2013

go with a second box for backups ... having said that, though, zfs provides
snapshots so you can create the same-disk snapshots without rsnapshot. just
create a zfs snapshot. this is how i provide hourly/daily/weekly/monthly
snapshots on my backup servers (backed by zfs of course). it's as simple as
this:

zfs snapshot zpoolname/filesystemname at snapshotname

example:  zfs snapshot data/htdocs at 20130916T154119

given the example, your snapshot is available by simply navigating to its
directory: /data/htdocs/.zfs/snapshot/20130916T154119