[TriLUG] mailman rejecting mail to one mailing list

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Nov 12 19:04:21 EST 2013

On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 15:52:39 -0800 (PST)
Chris Bullock <cgbullock at yahoo.com> wrote:

> we have a very old linux mail server running postfix and mailman.  I
> have one list (of about 25) that all of a sudden is not working.  The
> error in maillog is: fatal: execvp /home/mailmail/mail/wrapper: No
> such file or directory
>
> Postfix replies to the user with:
>
> The Postfix program <badlist at mydomain.com>: Command died with status
> 1: "/home/mailmail/mail/wrapper post badlist". Command output: local:
> fatal: execvp /home/mailmail/mail/wrapper: No such file or directory
>
> wrapper does seem to be there:
> [root at myserver mail]# pwd
> /home/mailman/mail
> [root at mail mail]# ll
> total 48
> -rw-------  1 mailman mailman   509 Apr 25  2002 saved-messages
> -rw-------  1 mailman mailman  1731 Apr 25  2002 sent-mail
> -rwxr-sr-x  1 mailman mailman 38451 Oct 27  2002 wrapper
> [root at myserver mail]#

I'd start by, at the bash prompt, typing

/home/mailmail/mail/wrapper

See what it does. If you get the same error, wrapper is printing the
error, you need to find what file *wrapper* couldn't find.

Next, *temporarily* replace wrapper with a shellscript to show what
args are being passed to wrapper. Here's an example of such a
shellscript:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/nullmailer/landmines.htm#_troubleshooting_tools_for_nullmailer
Search for the string "libexec/nullmailer/smtp Substitute (test.sh)"

Once you know the args being passed to wrapper, see if wrapper -h helps
you find the problem.

Just keep narrowing it down.

SteveT