[TriLUG] Soft Drinks Request/Reminder

David Burton ncdave4life at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 13:45:21 EST 2013

I don't think you'll find any mercury traces in HFCS refined in the USA in
the last few years.

The issue was that lye is used in the manufacture of HFCS from corn, and
one of the processes for making lye uses mercury, traces of which can end
up in the lye, from which they can be transferred to the HFCS. Whether such
tiny traces of mercury can actually do harm is disputed, but by 2009 the
industry was claiming that no U.S. HFCS is made with that type of lye
anymore, so it is very unlikely that you'll find any mercury contamination
at all in recently manufactured soft drinks in the U.S.A.

Nevertheless, as Scott suggests, water is better for you.

Dave