[TriLUG] my relationship with TWC is at an end.

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 19:48:19 EST 2013

Or ending at the end of the year or as soon as they receive payment for my
last bill.  Without going on too much of a rant I will simply not pay for
Toddlers and Tiaras, Klohe and Kim Kan't Konjugate Verbs, Honey Boo-Boo and
I Should Be Dead which would naturally follow such useless drivel.

Having tried four times to call and downgrade service and being
"accidentally disconnected" each time I have simply lost interest in
maintaing any cable TV service or anything beyond over-the-air digital.

That said, high-speed Internet is a must.  I need it for work.  So I'm
looking at Earthlink vs. TWC at this point.  I know Earthlink uses TWC's
infrastructure (they aren't a monopoly!) but I do have a few questions.

1) Does Earthlink provide you with a routeable IPv4 address?
2) Do they block ports?  I don't care about outgoing email..
3) can I run my own firewall/edge device?  I'm not as concerned about the
cable modem itself.  I'd like to buy one but renting is ok too.
4) Is there any way they support native IPv6?  I can't imagine that would
be possible them running on TWC's network where locally TWC doesn't yet
support IPv6 to the home.

Thoughts?  Comments?