[TriLUG] static website generators

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Nov 20 11:41:17 EST 2013

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 08:17:53 -0500
Tim Jowers <timjowers at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd probably consider using an attribute and then substitution.

Jim,

I find this subject relevant and valuable to what I do, but I don't
understand what you're saying. I always thought an attribute was
something like:

id="my_favorite_chapter"

inside an <h1> tag. Is this what you meant by attribute? By
substitution, would you mean changing "my_favorite_chapter" to
"my_new_chapter"?

> That
> way you can have your filly constituted HTML website for your html
> artists to work with but also substitute your changing data.  Just
> put an attribute with a UUID and then write some script to change the
> "value" attribute

I know artists do graphics, but what's an HTML artist? And what's a
value attribute?

> or change the inner HTML etc.

What's inner HTML?

It sounds like you're describing some sort of templating system, but I
don't know exactly what you're describing. I'm a big fan of templating
systems, and so find this interesting and potentially useful.

On a somewhat related topic, I'm about half way through creating a
Python program to convert an Xhtml file into an ePub eBook.

Thanks,

SteveT