[TriLUG] static website generators

Tim Jowers timjowers at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 13:09:44 EST 2013

Hi Steve,

yep, that's right:

<textarea id="my_favorite_chapter"
subsKey="WEu8iwegwerg034jiowejrgew">Todays hot Story: Baseball
Hail</textarea>

then run the program:
substitute_inner_html
For "WEu8iwegwerg034jiowejrgew" put in Value901 from database.

Something like this. Those spurious HTML attributes are just ignored by
browser. We did something using this back several years back when we had an
ActiveX rules engine module which integrated with the HTML.

I call them "HTML artist" because on most all projects I've done in the
last decade, the person creating the look was a non-programmer. But most of
them CAN open an HTML Editor and 50% also know CSS; so, if you don't
destroy that then they can work there and make their color and layout
changes. The holy grail of websites which I have never seen achieved in any
large company. Closest large companies get is a one-way transition frm HTML
to serverside concoction. Then the "HTML Artist" continues to hand out
her/his version and the programmer continues to try to make the concoction
look like the HTML version. In fact, many companies gave up and use Axure
and other such tools which don't even pretend to make something usable in
production.

Tim