[TriLUG] static website generators

Chris Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Wed Nov 20 14:14:22 EST 2013

On 11/20/2013 1:09 PM, Tim Jowers wrote:
> I call them "HTML artist" because on most all projects I've done in the
> last decade, the person creating the look was a non-programmer. But most of
> them CAN open an HTML Editor and 50% also know CSS; so, if you don't
> destroy that then they can work there and make their color and layout
> changes. The holy grail of websites which I have never seen achieved in any
> large company. Closest large companies get is a one-way transition frm HTML

FWIW, the Wicket library does this better than any Java framework I've seen.
Tapestry is a close second.  We use Wicket for our customer portal. The web
guy can edit the HTML and CSS with a good deal of freedom without breaking
integration with the code. We can implement and change the logic behind the
pages with only minor changes to the HTML, which don't affect the layout or
presentation.

BUT...you need to be a solid Java programmer to make good use of Wicket, so
this doesn't help the OP.

We also use FreeMarker, which is a Java-based templating engine. We use it
to generate static HTML reports within our client application. Again, you
need to know Java, but FreeMarker is pretty easy - a beginner-level Java
programmer can make use of it.

chris at webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601

Web Performance: Website Load Testing Software & Services