[TriLUG] TriLUG Website Infrastructure

Jeremy Davis jeremydavis at jeremydavis.biz
Wed Nov 20 23:26:10 EST 2013

If you want my two bitcoins, the all inclusive solution we are looking for
here is Sharepoint!....LOL :-)

Ok, on a more serious note..
Friction - For a signup roster, a Google spreadsheet set to "public all can
edit" is about as frictionless as it gets and it is also super easy to make
a form to populate it. Spam issues are minimal. It is not open source, it
is not a wiki, and you should consider why this incredible service is free,
however, it is frictionless and ridiculously easy.

Wordpress would have the easiest solutions for everyone *except* the guy
who maintains the security of it. Frequent backups are a must and there are
ways to harden the security.

Benefits include:
CMS is the easiest
Plugins to push updates to Git
Responsive theme to adjust content and navigation to screen size - mobile,
tablet, PC, etc...
Gravity Forms to collect info which also includes drag and drop Captcha
feature to slow down the spam
BuddyPress theme could enable users to customize their own "Facebook like"
profiles with feeds etc..
BuddyPress Wiki plugin provides easy tools for updating and editing
LDAP is an option, which would help address the wiki and user account
management
Analytics - just copy paste the Google analytics code into a field in the
CMS and you have incredible stats. Also WordPress provides some statistical
information right out of the box.
All-In-One SEO pack plugin submits posts to all major search engines if
indexing is a concern (this plugin developer is hosting Raleigh WordCamp
2013)
WP can also be easily automated to push published posts via RSS to our
Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and email subscribers, which cuts down on PR
work

BTW WordCamp is this weekend at NCSU!

Cheers!
Jeremy Davis