[TriLUG] attaching to remote X session (_not_ VNC)

Brian McCullough bdmc at buadh-brath.com
Tue Dec 3 13:00:32 EST 2013

On Mon, Dec 02, 2013 at 11:47:26PM -0500, Aaron S. Joyner wrote:

> In the mean time I'll tack on the practical advice that people use NX or
> VNC over WAN links, instead of the raw X11 protocol, for a host of really
> good reasons.  It basically boils down to the fact that X11 (like NFS, and
> many other ~ancient unix protocols) really assumes that you have a very low
> latency, relatively high bandwidth, link between the client and server
> (like a unix domain socket :) ), and it's not trying to minimize it's use
> of that resource.  In fact, X11 is in my mind the pathological poster child
> of that problem... it's shoveling around bitmap rendering, after all.

Not to mention every twitch of the mouse, individual keystrokes as
independent events, etc.

Over the decades, other technologies have been tried to "solve" this,
but, as usual, "good enough is the enemy of best."

See QNX, for instance.  That was my first Unix-like ( Posix ) general
purpose computing platform, on a 286.

Brian