[TriLUG] attaching to remote X session (_not_ VNC)

John Vaughters jvaughters04 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 4 08:56:42 EST 2013

NX is finicky to set up. I pretty much set it up on all my servers, many headless. Sometimes I go long periods were I have not set it up and something snags me and wastes a bunch of time. There is a ton of mis-information on the web to add to the frustration. Usually my problems stem from two things. An SSH issue or Xhost permission. In truth, I usually over complicate the issue and get irritated at my lack of simplistic troubleshooting later. A standard server set up should just work and I have had that experience before, but rarely. Usually I end up troubleshooting something. One thing to remember is that the server uses a special NX user and it's home directory is not in the /home directory. That was the last issue I had recently I had to make sure that user's ssh was working.

John Vaughters

On Tuesday, December 3, 2013 10:55 PM, Jack Hill <jackhill at jackhill.us> wrote:

On Tue, 3 Dec 2013, Kevin Otte wrote:

> It's a shame there was never any good distro packaging of freenx, such that I
> could just say "(apt-get|yum|whatever} install freenx" and have something
> working.

There is certainly NX server (both No Machine's and Google's) and client
packages in Gentoo :P. I can't comment to how good they are, but a couple
of years ago I experimented and was able to get it working.

[EDIT: oh, I think you were complaining about the configuration necessary.
It is unfortunate, although not that bad, and not a problem unique to NX]

I would like to comment on x11vnc as well: it's a pretty neat tool, and I
use it to help my grandmother remotely (we can both see the same thing).
However, I am not able to use it to connect to any of my running X
sessions remotely, because if I were to connect and unlock my screen, the
screen, the console would be unlocked with no one sitting there, which is
against my policy.

Best,
Jack

--