[TriLUG] need a referral: networking expert

Kevin Otte nivex at nivex.net
Thu Dec 5 17:02:03 EST 2013

And even if those zillion other routers are on channel 6 having come
straight out of the box, you can usually fix the problem by moving
elsewhere. That said, 2.4GHz is a pretty crowded band. If you can
finagle it, move as many of the clients off to 5GHz. Range will be
shorter but when you're in range it's more reliable.

If you have an Android device, check out WiFi Analyzer
(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer).
It will show you what kind of crowding is about.

Of course, it could just be a lousy AP and/or clients as others have
suggested. I had one friend trying to use a USB wifi stick on their
desktop to the next room in their house and kept falling completely off
the 'net. Ran some Cat5e in the crawl space between the two and shazam.

-- Kevin