[TriLUG] Frontier doing packet inspection?

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sat Dec 7 11:20:00 EST 2013

This morning, instead of getting a 404 page not found, I got a "helpful" page
from Frontier (my phone company) saying that they'd entered into a partnership
with yahoo to provide alternate results for the search whenever I got a "404
page not found". Below this notice was a google type list of suggested urls to
click on. I could click on a link to turn it off and I could also go to my
"preferences" page, which I didn't know I had. I thought I had a pipe to the
internet and other than their DNS (which I don't use) Frontier was not involved
(presumably I can have e-mail with them but I don't use it).

How does Frontier even know I got a "404 page not found" without doing packet
inspection?

Joe