[TriLUG] Frontier doing packet inspection?

Jeff The Riffer riffer at vaxer.net
Sat Dec 7 12:47:24 EST 2013

On Sat, 7 Dec 2013, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> How does Frontier even know I got a "404 page not found" without doing packet
> inspection?

DNS interception. TWC does the same thing, as other ISP's do.

I don't use my ISP's DNS server. TWC not only does interception on DNS
queries but also had a lot of DNS outages for me years ago. Easier to just
run bind on a local linux box. That way I never have to worry about this
sort of shenanigans.

Also gives you the advantage of being able to blackhole any specific zones
you want for your entire home network (i.e. known malware subnets,
advertising networks, whatever)