[TriLUG] Frontier doing packet inspection?

porter porter at trilug.org
Sun Dec 8 19:26:32 EST 2013

> ah yes. I vpn back to home from laptops, but I never thought of
> vpn'ing out from home. I could do that, but it would be slow. As long
> as they're only proxy'ing I'm not too worried.

There is no reason why a VPN should be slow.

There is an extra network hop, from you to your VPN endpoint and
then on to the internet, but that should not be too noticeable if
your VPN is somewhere with a decent connection.  And there is an
extra encryption step, which should be very fast on modern hardware.
The encryption does not anything to size of the packet stream, so
it should not take any longer than a normal connection.

In fact, sometimes it can be faster.  If your VPN endpoint has a
better (faster) DNS than the local network, the VPN would be
noticeably faster.

I use an SSH proxy or a VPN most times that I travel, and when I
am on a restrictive network (like at my office or at NCSU).

Alan