[TriLUG] Frontier doing packet inspection?

Sean Alexandre sean at alexan.org
Mon Dec 9 10:01:21 EST 2013

On Mon, Dec 09, 2013 at 09:34:27AM -0500, Cristóbal Palmer wrote:
> On Sunday, December 8, 2013 at 7:46 PM, porter wrote:
> > Anyone else out there want to compare tinfoil hats?
>
> I know of two related systems for using Network Notaries (instead of CAs) for
> tracking validity of Certificates -- specifically for Firefox. I cannot speak
> to their quality and I do not have specific feedback on their use; I simply
> know that they exist and what they claim to do:
>
> http://perspectives-project.org/
> http://www.convergence.io/details.html

Also related to this general problem is:
http://youbroketheinternet.org/
http://secushare.org/

You could say problems such as the one discussed in this thread are evidence
that the "Internet's broken and we need a new one" (new protocols, new apps.)

There's this interesting set of talks, from August in Berlin, by Jacob
Appelbaum, Richard Stallman, and others:

"You broke the Internet. We're making ourselves a GNU one"
https://gnunet.org/internetistschuld

We'll be watching highlights from this at the next TA3M (Mon Dec 16th), and
discussing. Everyone's welcome:
https://wiki.openitp.org/events:techno-activism_3rd_mondays:durham#december_16

That said, I agree there are things that can be done to help work around problems
such as DNS hijacking, etc. Here's another Firefox plugin that can help:

HTTPS Everywhere
https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere

It uses the EFF Observatory to help protect against MITM attacks by comparing the
certs you see with the ones they know about:
https://www.eff.org/observatory