[TriLUG] Connecting to Remote PC

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Dec 19 11:57:34 EST 2013

On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 09:15:45 -0500
Grawburg <grawburg at myglnc.com> wrote:

> I'm running Debian 7 (64-bit) at home and want to try and connect to
> a remote WinXP machine inorder to copy some files from it to my Linux
> machine.  Remote desktop won't let me actually copy files from the XP
> to the Linux.  What kind of solutions are available to do this?  How
> about LogMeIn (which is still in beta using command line only)?

Samba is made to do exactly that. Make the directories containing the
files to be copied shareable, and then configure Samba on the Linux box
to access them.

If this copy is a one time deal, I'd sneakernet it: Copy them to a
thumb drive, carry the thumb drive to your Linux box, and copy them
back. It's a whole lot quicker than researching ways to connect.

Thanks,

SteveT