[TriLUG] Need some help parsing a file

R Radford rradford at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 30 19:01:30 EST 2013

I am late to the party, but did read each of the examples.  In addition to
cut being a very simple and elegant solution to the problem, the author of
that solution also avoided using cat to read in the file and saved another
process and a pipe.

For example:

    cut -c40- < filename.txt

is better than:

    cat filename.txt | cut -c40-

The same could be done to each of the examples above.