[TriLUG] Need some help parsing a file

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Dec 31 19:26:42 EST 2013

On Tue, 31 Dec 2013 10:37:08 -0800 (PST)
John Vaughters <jvaughters04 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> >The tr solution would also reduce repeated spaces in the filename,
> >so would not work in that (hopefully extreme, but legal) case.
>

> Valid point! I can only HOPE that when I am forced to use cut and tr
> as my only options that Windows developers were not allowed on that
> system. `,~)

Agreed. As a guy who got into the computer industry in the early
1980's, on DEC equipment, I have to say that allowing spaces in
filenames is obnoxious and unnecessary. That's what the underscore key
is for. I try very hard to keep all spaces out of filenames. When
Windows drones send me files whose filenames have spaces, I replace the
spaces with underscores before saving. And if I have to mail a file
back, perhaps a filled in version of the PDF they sent me, I leave my
underscores in. Maybe the Windows guys will finally get it.

SteveT