[TriLUG] have ya'll seen this?

Nick Goldwater nick at dogstar1.com
Wed Jan 1 12:54:19 EST 2014

SELinux used to be a bear to deal with but it has improved.  RedHat made all their (may still) run SELinux to work the bugs out. Still, beware with custom apps. You need to create new policies.

I like the overall idea of SELinux in that it handles security in contexts.  It looks at what processes and users are 'supposed' to do.  So if you had a 0day exploit in your PHP application and someone was able to elevate their privilege, they would be stuck there.

The easiest way to see what SELinux would do in a given situation is to run it in permissive mode.  That way you do not need to un-tag (to remove. pain to reinstate after removal) and you can view a log of SELinux actions not carried out.

For you Linux people out there... ls -Z

Nick