[TriLUG] webcam on a stick?

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Jan 2 09:15:44 EST 2014

On Thu, 2 Jan 2014, Bill Farrow wrote:

> I know it is off topic, but does anyone know anything about "blown in"
> insulation ?

as an ex-chemist, if you do it yourself, I'd find out about safety for breathing
the fibres that will inevitably be filling the air. The lung isn't good at
clearing small particles (hence coal miner's black lung) and they stay in the
lungs and become calcified as the body's way of isolating them.

I think only cellulose type fibres are used nowadays. I expect they're
relatively safe compared to other options. Don't have anything to do with
fibreglass. If you want to know more about fibreglass, post again. Rock wool
contains fibreglass

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_wool

If you have to have it, I would let someone else put their life in danger.

The conical paper masks you buy at the home depot type places aren't useful: I
wear glsses and much of my exhalation winds up passing over and fogging them.
Thus I assume much of the inhalation phase of my breathing bypasses these masks
as well. If you're standing the volume of air you need can be handled by these
paper masks. However as soon as you start doing anything more energetic, like
walking around, these face masks are overwhelmed. I expect if you ask any
contractor type people, they'll say "she'll be right mate". OSHA laws aren't
designed to protect workers; they're designed by lawyers to protect employers
from lawsuits (we did everything according to OSHA!). I expect the only safe
facemask is the rubber one that looks like a gas mask. I expect it won't be fun
to wear.

Joe