[TriLUG] Do a lot of you program in Python?

David Burton ncdave4life at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 19:22:06 EST 2014

Over the years I've programmed in dozens of languages. *All* of them have
had design flaws which make me want to bang my head against the wall,
screaming, *"what were they thinking?!?"*

Python isn't perfect, either. Like Mr. McGoo, I'd make a few changes, if I
ran the zoo. But it is easily the best-designed language I've used to date.
That makes programming in Python a lot more *fun* than programming in most
other languages.

Python is clearly crushing Perl for scripting. It is crushing R for
statistical programming, and finally putting Fortran out of its misery for
scientific programming. It's got PHP looking over its shoulder for web
programming. It's displacing Java in the CS classroom. It's pretty clearly
going to be the death of Ruby, too, eventually, I think.

Give it a try!

Dave