[TriLUG] Do a lot of you program in Python?

Joseph S. Tate dragonstrider at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 01:02:06 EST 2014

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 7:08 PM, Greg Brown <gwbrown1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I took a class at a local tech school (and I've done some training via
> iTunes U) but I can't find a working solution for one thing that will allow
> me to displace perl and expect at my job which is something I'd like to do
> in order to make Python my main language.
>
> And since I'm on the topic that thing is forked process management.  I have
> a network consisting of ~10,000 devices and in order to run a job against
> all of those devices and have it complete within a reasonable amount of
> time I need to fork about 15 or 20 processes at a time, ssh or telnet to
> each one, do whatever needs to be done to the devices then move on to the
> next one.
>
> Basically I need to replace this perl module in python:
>
> http://search.cpan.org/~szabgab/Parallel-ForkManager-1.06/lib/Parallel/ForkManager.pm
>
> I don't return to work until the 13th and all my working examples are on a
> server at work so I can't copy and paste anything more relevant at this
> point.
>
> Greg

If those devices have python available on them already, you should probably
be using Ansible. Come to the Feb meeting to learn about it. </plug>

Actually I don't know the mechanics of exactly how Ansible would handle
that many devices, but it would be cheap and easy to try it to find out if
you already had the network of devices handy.