[TriLUG] Laptop Backpacks...

Aaron Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Thu Jan 9 10:35:30 EST 2014

Executive summary: Buy a Rush 24, and a Rush MOAB 10 to strap to it.  Pack
clothes for a week and still have a light bag for going around the city.

I prefer a much smaller bag for every day carry, and I prefer it to slip
over a single-shoulder, so I carry the Rush MOAB 10, which is the perfect
size for my 13" Macbook Air, all of my essentials (modest utilitarian
cables: usb, power, etc; shure headphones; spare gum and splenda, etc), and
still have room to stuff in a book or two, or a small package I might need
to carry:
http://www.511tactical.com/rush-moab-10.html

Conveniently, it also can be strapped to a larger pack, for travel, such as
the Rush 12, 24, or even 72:
http://www.511tactical.com/rush-12-backpack.html
http://www.511tactical.com/rush-24-backpack.html
http://www.511tactical.com/rush-72-backpack.html

The names of all the Rush packs are intended to (conservatively) equate to
how much gear you can carry in them, eg. 10 hours worth, to 72 hours worth
of gear.  They're including water, food, and survival supplies in that
estimate, so if you're not planning on hitting the desert or jungle, you
have some wiggle room in that estimate.

I write all this to say, 5.11 Tactical makes the best bags I've ever seen,
and I've carried a *lot* of different bags.  They're absurdly durable,
comfortable, and well appointed.

Also, don't bother with the "Checkpoint Friendly" or "TSA Approved" bags,
skip all that nonsense and go straight for TSA Pre-Check.  Leave your
laptop in the bag, your belt shoes etc stay on, you just walk through a
simple magnetometer.  It's like flying in the late 1990s all over again:
http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck

Aaron S. Joyner