[TriLUG] Laptop Backpacks...

stan briggs stanbriggs at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 10:37:24 EST 2014

for my $.02 i'll go old school and toss out the US Army's ALICE pack. not
expensive ($50 with frame if you search online [example:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/browse/military-backpacks-bags.aspx?c=163]),
available on craigslist, ebay, etc., with lots of attachments. external
pockets. NOT TSA friendly unless you're in the TSA-pre program (hint,
hint). even with the frame it's not very heavy until you start loading it
down. and you can load it down.
get the large ALICE pack not the medium. 6 external pockets rather than 3
and lots more interior volume.
i've had one since my undergraduate days (i'll go ahead and stick the gig
that "yes, that's longer than most people on this list have been alive" and
be very okay with that) and still use it daily for my commute to work [i
walk 20 minutes each way most days].
lastly, do not get drawn into the 'new' Army packs. i cannot remember their
acronym but they do not seem to be as durable as the older packs.
like i said, just my $.02.

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 10:17 AM, John Vaughters <jvaughters04 at yahoo.com>wrote:

> Chris,
>
> I have been using the Swiss Wenger (aka Swiss Army) bags for about 10
> years. I still have the first one that is 10 years old, but do not use it
> much. They tend to be more expensive, but the quality is top notch. No
> matter what bag you get if your people are traveling on planes, make sure
> it has the new feature "Checkpoint Friendly" to unzip and fold out without
> having to take out the electronics. Your people will love you for that
> feature.
>

> On Thursday, January 9, 2014 9:51 AM, Chris Knowles <
> cknowles2112 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Since I've been seeing lots of product recommendation stuff come through
> here... thought I'd ask this one that I've been wrestling with for awhile.
> It's related to stuff we all do.
>
> I'm looking for a new laptop backpack.  I've got a couple of 15" laptops
> that will be taking turns riding in this - so that's minimum size, though
> as you'll see in a minute, I've not had trouble hitting that bar.
>
> I'm also looking for them to be able to handle the laptop, cables, tablet,
> general work stuff. (pens, usb keys, a notepad)
>
> AND travel - preferably 1-2 days clothing able to fit in there.  Hence the
> laptop size not being a problem.
>
> So, anyone have a bag that fits these requirements that they enjoy?
>
> CJK
> --
> This message was sent to: John Vaughters <jvaughters04 at yahoo.com>

Stan B. Briggs