[TriLUG] new email certificate on mail.trilug.org

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Sun Jan 12 21:29:26 EST 2014

It's that time of year again... time for me to renew the SSL
certificates for mail.trilug.org and www.trilug.org.  And just like
always, I didn't even think about sending out a notification until I was
done.

So if you check your mail today and it tells you we have a new
certificate, that's because of me.  Our certificate is signed by
StartCom (startssl.com), which is free, but it is not included as a root
certificate on some systems.  You can: (1) click OK and forget about it
for another year or (2) import the StartCom root certificate from
https://www.startssl.com/certs/ca.cer .

Our main web pages are HTTP only.  The certificate is only used for the
steering wiki.

If you have questions about our certificates, or about certificates in
general or StartCom, postfix, dovecot, or openssl... let me know!

If you did not understand any of that stuff above, and just want to know
what to do... just click "confirm security exception" and rest assured
that nobody* can read your email while it is in transit between pilot
and your mail client.

Alan

* except me... and Edward Snowden... and Bruce Schneier