[TriLUG] [OT] Strange Beep from Back-UPS XS 1200

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Jan 22 20:39:39 EST 2014

On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 14:06:51 -0500
Chris Merrill <chris at webperformance.com> wrote:

> On 1/22/2014 1:59 PM, Steve Pinkham wrote:
> > Lead-acid Batteries are probably the easiest hazardous waste to
> > dispose of, as recyclers will actually pay good money for them.
> > Wake recycling centers take old batteries.  Walmart and Sears have
> > a declared policy of taking any battery, and any autoparts store
> > will usually take them.
>
> So Gruber requires an extra trip somewhere to recycle.  For an
> apples-to- apples comparison, that potentially puts the price much
> closer to Batteries+, assuming that money IS an object AND time IS
> money.

Batteries Plus is so expensive for UPS batteries that my one trip is
usually to Costco to buy a completely new unit with a full guarantee.
It's usually maybe 20% more than buying just the battery,and you're
getting a unit that hasn't endured a couple years of lightning strikes,
overvolts and brownouts.

SteveT