[TriLUG] Earthlink as ISP

Andrew Stephenson tendonut at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 07:33:52 EST 2014

I can vouch for this. When I moved to the Triangle 4 years ago, I used
Earthlink for the first year at my apartment. After that, I moved to
Morrisville where I was forced to go with an unknown ISP that had some
exclusive contract with my complex. It was awful. Then when I bought a
house (new construction) in Holly Springs last year, I discovered that
Earthlink won't be able to provide you service if TWC hasn't updated their
database to show that you are in a serviceable area. Keep that in mind if
you are buying new construction. I had to go with TWC directly until their
database reflected my neighborhood being serviceable.

Anyway, if you're looking to make the switch from TWC to Earthlink, it is
literally a 5 minute phone conversation. Nothing more. I switched from my
15x1 service by TWC to 15x1 by Time Warner and it was literally just a
billing change and I didn't even have to provide them with new billing
information. No need to swap out my hardware (since TWC will be providing
the Earthlink service anyway) and I was told I would lose my (unused) TWC
email address. Big friggin' whoop. When I looked at my TWC account, I saw
the new $41.95 price instead of the (recently increased) $59.50. Totally
painless.