[TriLUG] [OT] Strange Beep from Back-UPS XS 1200

Ed Blackman ed at edgewood.to
Fri Jan 24 15:00:29 EST 2014

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 10:32:40AM -0500, Igor Partola wrote:
>As for the smoke detectors, I am a big fan of First Alert Onelink (
>http://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-SCO501CN-3ST-SCO500-Combination/dp/B000EVO7C2for
>example). They create a mesh network so they don't have to be
>hard-wired, and use voice to wake you up and tell you exactly where the
>smoke/fire is.

+1 for Onelink.  I am a sound sleeper, and our family sleeps with our
doors closed.  If a fire starts on the other side of the house, the
Onelink mesh will sound the alarm all over the house, including in my
room loud enough to wake me.  I doubt that a conventional alarm in my
kids rooms would wake me, and they're still too small to know to go wake
daddy.

The downside is that when the "low battery" message goes off on one, it
goes off in all, even at 4am.  :-(  At least it only does the voice
message through the mesh network once, and then chirps only the low
battery device once every couple of minutes.

--
Ed Blackman