[TriLUG] open ports on Uverse 2wire gateway

Barry Gaskins barry.gaskins at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 23:34:31 EST 2014

   So AT&T is responsible for administering this device but you are upset
that they have ports open that allow them to access the device?   How are
they going to provide you with the service that you are paying for if they
do not have port(s) open that allow them to access it?  I guess they could
have rules that only allow access from their service center ip address or
something like that.  It would still be open but only the them and your
scan might not see it.  But in general, if you are paying them to
administer the device then they can pretty much do what they want in the
way they want.

   Seems there are others who are discussing this issue:

   I have a cable modem from Time Warner Cable.  I am sure that Time Warner
can access it and do whatever they want with it.  I connect to it with a
linux machine that acts as a firewall that has another network card that
goes to my home network.  That way I can control what traffic passes to my
home network.  It is work to set it up and administer the home network.
 But that is really the only way to be able to dictate what is open to the
outside world.

   Barry