[TriLUG] February TA3M in Durham: Linux Server Security

Sean Alexandre sean at alexan.org
Thu Jan 30 07:35:34 EST 2014

You're invited to the February Techno-Activism Third Mondays (TA3M) in Durham!
TA3M is an informal meetup designed to connect software creators and activists
who are interested in censorship, surveillance, and open technology. The event
takes place in different cities around the globe every third Monday of the
month.

WHAT: TA3M in Durham [1,2]
WHEN: Monday February 17th from 7pm 'till 9pm
WHERE: SplatSpace [3]
TOPIC: Linux Server Security

This month we'll be looking at Linux server security. Server security is
essential to an open Internet, to allow for services that are as free as
possible from surveillance and censorship.  What can be done to secure
a server, and how difficult is it?  We'll look at basic steps to take [4,5], as
well as more advanced topics [6-11].

This is meant to be an open forum, where anyone is free to share. Got
a lightning talk?  We'd love to hear it! Or, just come join in the discussion.

Also, there's been some interest in discussing video streaming at SplatSpace,
the hackerspace in Durham. They had a recent mailing list discussion on this
[12]. Got thoughts on this? Let's discuss it. When is live video streaming OK,
and how should any video cameras in the space be used, or not?

[1] https://wiki.openitp.org/events:techno-activism_3rd_mondays
[2] https://wiki.openitp.org/events:techno-activism_3rd_mondays:durham
[3] http://splatspace.org/location/
[4] My First 5 Minutes On A Server; Or, Essential Security for Linux Servers
    http://plusbryan.com/my-first-5-minutes-on-a-server-or-essential-security-for-linux-servers
[5] Securing Your Server
    https://library.linode.com/securing-your-server
[6] Securing Debian Manual
    http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/
[7] Entropy
    https://we.riseup.net/debian/entropy
[8] NSA Documents from the Spiegel Story, from Bruce Schneier: "This is all really important
    information for those of us trying to defend against adversaries with these sorts of
    capabilities."
    https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2014/01/nsa_documents_f.html
[9] Attack-Drive Defense, by Zane Lackey from etsy.com
    http://www.slideshare.net/zanelackey/attackdriven-defense
[10] https://cpunks.org//pipermail/cypherpunks/2013-August/000263.html
[11] https://cpunks.org//pipermail/cypherpunks/2014-January/003227.html
[12] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/durham-makerspace/i2iJvvNpsgE