[TriLUG] laptop shopping

Joseph S. Tate dragonstrider at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 13:51:39 EST 2014

While the suspend to ram and disk seem to work on my Dell XPS 12, after 3
months with it, the touchscreen and touchpad still work in 1999 mode (no
gestures, no multi-touch support, no palm detection). My wifi drops out
occasionally and I have to go into airplane mode and back to get it back.
When on an external display, I get lots of flickering lines and background
image damage, and the webcam driver seems to be tinting everything green
and not v.synching correctly.

Also I don't like page-up-page-down as fn-keys, but I love the size, power
(core i7 quad, 8GB Ram, 128GB SSD), and battery life.

I've downloaded (after much research) the Ubuntu image that they put on the
XPS 13, so I want to try that to see if there's some non-OSS drivers
they're using that works on my system.

But it's still better than Windows 8. ;-P (not a ringing endorsement)

Suspend to disk was disabled by Ubuntu about 2 years ago by default. You
can enable it easily though. See
http://askubuntu.com/questions/94754/how-to-enable-hibernation

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 12:02 AM, William Sutton <william at trilug.org> wrote:

> Any recommendations for a laptop that has suspend-to-disk (hibernate to
> disk) and Just Works (TM)?  I used to love the feature on my old Sony Vaio
> PCG-505GX, but it's been out of date for a decade, and my current
> MacBookPro (which doesn't have it) is showing signs of advanced age.
>
> Preferences:
> 1. small-ish (17" is too big... 12"-14" would be nice)
> 2. supports suspend-to-disk under Linux
> 3. decent video card (NV would be nice)
> 4. wireless works under Linux without too much trouble
>
> I like Sony and I like Lenovo, but I'm not stuck on either one.  I refuse
> to use Compaq/HP/Dell.
>
> Looking forward to the suggestions....
>
> --
Joseph Tate