[TriLUG] Win7 & virtual machines (Windows license police)

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Thu Feb 6 10:46:47 EST 2014

In exactly the same situation Windows 7 initially activated OK after a
VM-hosted install with the license key from the laptop label (i.e. same
key used on the "direct boot" instance of Windows). But I got unhappy
with Mint/Mate Linux and switched to LUbuntu and redid the partitioning.
In the process I made a mistake and ended up without the VirtualBox
virtual disk file for the W7 instance and had to do another from-scratch
install. Again the activation went OK, but after the first couple
hundred patches Windows got unhappy and insisted on another activation
and this time it rejected the key and forced me to go through a truly
cruel telephone activation you'd have to experience to believe. But in
the course of this the phone robot said something close to:

    "Are you using this copy of Windows on a single computer?"

And as somebody else wrote, in this use case only one instance is
running at a time. Surely only Larry Ellison would insist on a separate
license for the VM-hosted instance?

By the way, it is painful, but possible to get iso files of the official
W7 install DVD from Microsoft. The trick is determining which of the
many (hundreds? THOUSANDS?) of different builds that are lumped together
under a single label like "W7 Professional with SP1". I read a lot of
forum msgs and just picked one (build 7601) and it seems to be working OK.

-Pete