[TriLUG] Win7 & virtual machines

John Vaughters jvaughters04 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 6 13:15:44 EST 2014

>http://news.cnet.com/2008-1082_3-5065859.html

Steve

Great link and I strongly support your idea of license hell being the biggest reason for looking for alternatives. Oracle and Windows licenses are UNREAL. You cannot even get agreement form the user community what they mean. Windows has to publish special discussions to further clarify their intent because the license is so lawyered-up. We just went through a major server implementation recently and if we went with the Dell compliance advice, we would have paid through the nose. We finally found the best license solution related to cost, but the amount of time wasted by all the managers and decision makers, I cringe to know that wasted cost. Of the 36 servers there were two Redhat servers all doing the same task. Guess what, not a single conversation occurred for the Redhat servers license. The main issue was centered around MSSQL and how to define the access that was being used which affected the license. Well guess what? MySQL didn't have any
 limitations, just a reasonably worded license that basically stated in layman's terms: "Use as needed"

Of all our customers, only one with the two Redhat servers enjoyed peace of ease.

Frustration is a powerful motivator.

John Vaughters